"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality." --Bishop Desmond Tutu

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain Yard Signs

I'm wondering what other people think here. I need opinions.

As I wander around my neighborhood (dragged around the neighborhood by my dog would be technically more accurate), I'm seeing more and more "McCain/Palin", "Families for McCain" and the excruciatingly inexplicable "Women for McCain" yard signs appear in the lawns of ostensibly working-class families. There are a few "Obama" and "Obama/Biden" signs around as well, but not nearly as many as the collective McCain ones.

I know I live in a red city (Waukesha) in a red county (Waukesha), in a mercifully blue state (Wisconsin) but really. WTF???? Women for McCain? Seriously? Women? For McCain? I want to knock on their doors, shake them (vigorously) and ask
"What the hell is wrong with you? McCain? The serial liar? The guy who never met a deregulation bill he didn't love? The guy who votes against equal pay, increases in minimum wage and wants your kids to die for a useless war in Iraq? He's really got your back? John McCain?"
I think I know the answer before I even try this tactic. These are the so-called "values voters." The voters I lovingly refer to as the "counter-interest voters". The ones who are blinded by a smoke screen of conservative religious propaganda and consistenly vote against their (and their family's) interests.

So my question to you all is, is it worth trying to engage these folks in polite dialogue? Should I ask them the simple "McCain? Really? Why McCain? What does he bring to your table?" You know, polite political discourse. Has anyone done this in their neighborhoods? Any Obama converts?

1 comment:

42 said...

I overheard a coupla dickbags in the food court here saying stupid shit like "Obama wants to sit down and have tea and crumpets with Ahmanjenindadnadi" while Biden was blasting away on Fox.

I give up with these idiots.